It's that spooky season and I know everyone is pretty excited about it. So I thought it would be cool to infuse what I'm calling a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Taste-A-Like. It's not exactly a replica since, these little devils are ball shaped and not cup shaped, but they're pretty close to a similar flavor and texture.
For this recipe, I used 5.5 grams of whole cannabis called Pineapple Planet. It's just what I had on hand but probably wasn't the best choice for this particular recipe. If I had made a raspberry truffle or something more fruit flavored, I think this would have been a perfect pairing. I'd opt for something a little more earthy tasting than fruity. Oh well, you live and you learn. I did end up with about 20mg THC/truffle which is perfect since I'll usually pop 2 or 3 at a time. They're very tasty so it's hard to eat just one.
Further, as I mention in the video, I covered the cannabis when decarboxylating and I think that contributed to more of the flavor getting trapped in the cannabis. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it does seem like a lot of you prefer your edibles to NOT taste like weed.
Which also brings me to some tips on minimizing the odor when you're infusing oils/butter to use in your edibles.
How to minimze the edible odor
- Cover your cannabis when decarbing and LEAVE IT COVERED UNTIL IT COOLS.
- Infuse oils in sealed mason jars in a water bath
- Use the water method for infusing butter
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Taste A Like Recipe
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup Infused Butter
- 3/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 2/3 cup Crushed Graham Crackers (about 1/2 a sleeve)
- 1-2 cups Semi-sweet Chips
- 1/2 Tablespoon Shortening or Coconut Oil
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Standing mixer
- Cookie sheet or other similar flat surface (like a cutting board or serving tray)
- Parchment Paper or Silicon Baking Liner
- Crush Graham Crackers in a food processor (or go old fashioned and put them in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin, mallet, or mug).
- Add all of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips and oil, into the bowl of a standing mixer* with the paddle attachment. Blend until smooth and roll into a ball.
*If you don't have a standing mixer, I recommend warming the butter and peanut butter slightly. Then mix by hand in a large bowl.
- If the mixture is sticky and warm, dust with more powdered sugar before rolling in balls. Or, if you have time, chill for a couple of hours in the fridge.
- Use a teaspoon to measure out peanut butter mixture and roll into balls about an inch big. Set on a cookie sheet lined with a silicon liner or parchment paper.
- Once all rolled out, chill balls in freezer. Overnight is best but at least an hour.
- Melt chocolate and oil in a double boiler. Aim for a runny consistency.
- Dip the peanut butter balls into the chocolate and place on another lined cookie sheet or large cutting board. Chill in fridge or freezer. Once set, store in an airtight container.
You can watch this week's episode right now on The Weed Tube here. And watch it WITH me tomorrow October 8th, 2019 at 4:15pm MDT on Youtube here.