It’s my birthday! And while I don’t really love cake and am not usually a very festive person, I totally felt in the mood this year and decided to whip up some infused cupcakes. Plus I still had some of that Instant Pot infused butter in my fridge and I really wanted to use it. Cupcakes with buttercream frosting sounded like the perfect idea.
Unfortunately, I decided that using the IP for infusions is not the way to go if you don’t like the taste of cannabis. Overall in both the butter and the olive oil, there was an overwhelming flavor of cannabis.
These cupcakes were pretty good. I think I make have over cooked them just a little bit too long at 20 minutes. Or it could just be that it’s an edible and edibles are kind of dry for some reason.
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 1/4 boiling water
- 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup softened infused cannabutter
- 6 tbs sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbs flour
Ingredients for the strawberry buttercream:
- 1/4 cup infused cannabutter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbs strawberry preserves/topping
- 1 tbs whole milk, buttercream, or almond milk
- Hand mixer or standing mixer (or a strong arm and a whisk)
- Mixing bowl
- Mis-en-place bowls (cereal bowls will do)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cupcake pan or standalone silicone cups
- Liners if using a pan
- Pastry bag and tips or a knife or spatula to spread buttercream on the cupcakes
- Preheat oven too 375. Grease or line cups and set aside.
- Mix boiling water and cocoa powder. Blend thoroughly. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another larger bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and blend thoroughly. Add vanilla and the dry ingredients. Blend until just mixed. Finally, add the cocoa and hot water mixture. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the batter evenly among six cupcake cups. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and powdered sugar. Add milk and strawberry, and beat until thoroughly combined and stiff peaks begin to form. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
This is such a great recipe to make a small batch of cupcakes for just one or two people to enjoy, or for a small gathering.