This recipe was adapted from here.
You ever just wish you were on some tropical beachy island vacation sipping on something that tastes like your locale? I know I’m not alone. Unfortunately, as I creep closer and closer to middle age I have found that alcohol and I are not a great combination. If not for the shenanigans, then for the hangover the next day. No thank you.
But I still want to taste something beachy and that might make me feel a little bit looser and more chill. So I got to researching. Turns out there are plenty of virgin piña colada recipes out there on the web and some of them are begging to be infused (actually, all of them are).
For this recipe you can infuse in one of two ways, you can do it simply with an alcohol-based tincture (check out this method here). Or you can attempt to infuse the cream of coconut. Personally I think you’ll get a better overall infusion result if you use tincture because alcohol is a better solvent than the lower fat cream of coconut BUT infusing the cream of coconut imparts a nice flavor that will complement the drink nicely. So if you’re not super concerned about potency or dosage, this is a great option.
To infuse the cream of coconut I treated it like infusing any other milk.
- mason jar
- cocktail shaker
- baking sheet
- mesh strainer and cheesecloth
- 1 can of cream of coconut
- Pineapple juice
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Roughly break up cannabis. Spread on baking sheet and cover with tinfoil. Bake for 15 minutes. For this recipe, I recommend about 3.5 grams.
- Add decarboxylated cannabis to a mason jar. Pour 1 can of cream of coconut (found in your grocery store in the aisle with the other alcohol mixers). Add lid.
- Place jar in a sauce pot, or crockpot, and fill basin/pot with water. Make sure there is a enough water to come up to the same level as the cream of coconut and cannabis mixture in the mason jar.
- Bring water to boil and boil for 90 minutes up to 4 hours. If using a crockpot, set on high for a few hours and walk away. If using the stove top, make sure to keep an eye on the water level and add HOT WATER ONLY to bring the level up.
- Strain cannabis flower from the cream of coconut. Store in an airtight jar in fridge for up to two weeks.
- In your cocktail shaker, or blender, add 6 ounces of pineapple juice and 1.5 ounces of infused cream of coconut over 1 cup of ice and shake about 15 times. If using a blender, blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with 1 or 2 cherries and a slice of fresh pineapple.
- Enjoy. And cheers!
Watch me make this in the video below and don’t forget to like, comment, and subscribe while you’re there too.