As soon as I found out you could infuse sugar with cannabis I knew I wanted to try it out. It sounded so easy and after trying it out myself, I’m inclined to believe that’s true.
The hardest part was finding the Everclear because I’ve literally never even seen it before. Because of the type of people who I’ve seen drink it, I assumed it’d be found on the bottle shelf. And yes, I did know people who drank Everclear. Please don’t be one of those people. It’s not for drinking.
Making cannasugar, if you have all the ingredients prepped, takes only an hour. The time consuming aspect is making the tincture. There are a few methods to make a tincture, I’m only going to share the way I did it. If you want other methods (especially if you have a gas stove or would use an open flame to do the water bath, the vapors from alcohol are highly flammeable).
- Cannabis, amount and kind of your choosing
- 1/2 cup Everclear or other 190 proof grain alcohol
- 2 cups of sugar
- Double boiler set up (smaller pot in a larger one)
- Cookie Sheet
- Optional: candy thermometer
- Start by decarbing your cannabis in the oven at 240 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes.
- Turn down your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add decarbed cannabis to your double boiler then cover with Everclear. Simmer in double boiler for 20 minutes. Watch over it so it doesn’t spill but otherwise you can be pretty hands off at this stage.
- Strain out the plant material from the alcohol. You should be left with a bright green liquid.
- Measure out your sugar in a bowl. Add the tincture and mix until evenly light green and moist.
- Spread sugar out in an even layer on cookie sheet then place in oven for 1 hour, checking every 20 minutes to stir/make sure the alcohol is drying out evenly.
- Store in an airtight container and use in place of boring regular sugar.