This week I’m showing off a really cool hack I read about years ago that will allow you to infuse butter without using a strainer or cheesecloth. This is a great hack if you don’t have all the tools and equipment to strain out your flower from your butter. This method will work with any fat that solidifies when cool (think coconut oil, animal fat, shortening, etc).
I was really surprised at how well this hack worked. Since water and oil do not mix, as the butter and water cools, it separates. This I expected. What I didn’t expect was how well it would filter out the cannabis flower from the butter making it easy to separate.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 grams of ground cannabis
- 1/2 cup water
- Small pot
- Measuring cup
- Wide mouth container to chill and store butter
- First, decarboxylate your cannabis in an oven that has been preheated to 240 degrees fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes (or until all the cannabis is a toasted brown color .
- Add water and butter in a small pot. Once butter has melted fully, add in decarboxylated cannabis and simmer for 3 hours.
- Pour the butter/water/flower mixture into a wide mouth container and chill in fridge.
- Once butter has fully chilled, remove from container. Discard water or freeze and use for soup starter. Slice off the layer of flower. Dry any remaining water with a clean towel or paper towel. Store butter in airtight container.